Thursday, June 9, 2011

Happy Birthday Daddy Gene!



Today's my Dad's birthday. He would have been 52 years old. Not a day goes by that I don't think of him. My dad died in 1986. I was 5 years old, my sister was 1 1/2. My dad was only 27, my mom a widow at 28. I remember bits and pieces of my dad. I am very glad to have a ton of photos :)

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Do they celebrate birthdays in heaven? The reason I ask is, it’s my dad's birthday today and that’s exactly where he is—in heaven.
I don’t know if they are celebrated or not, but I do know this: There are parties!

Remember the story that Jesus told of the prodigal son? It was about a boy who ran away from home, only to later come to his senses and return to his father. Upon his return, his father threw a great party for him and celebrated.

Jesus preceded this great story by saying, “Likewise, I say to you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents” (Luke 15:10). Sounds like a party to me!

When a party is done right, you have family, friends, and those you love around you. Gifts are given in honor of the one whose birth is celebrated. There is often a meal, always a cake, and the obligatory singing of “Happy Birthday to You!”

Daddy Gene is certainly with family in Heaven. He is there with his grandparents, aunts and Uncles, and grand children. I know in heaven there is feasting and family. Joy and happiness. No pain.

I miss my dad and look forward to the day I will see him again. He would be 52 years old if he were here with us.

Happy birthday, Gene Robert Kraai.

No comments: